Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

Instead of wondering



Images from Lucy's album

I have this desire to capture my thoughts and feelings as they arise in moments of experience here in the country of my birth, in the town where I grew up, among the people – family and friends – that were an integral part of my life for the first 19 years of my life in this physical form.

I so want to hold these moments to the light of awareness and ask questions such as:

Who was I then?
How did I really feel then?
What did I really think then?
Who is asking these questions now?
Why does she want to know?
How did this event shape me? What did it leave in me? What did it create? What did it destroy?

I want to know where all the fragments of that moment are. Where did they disperse? Where did they collect? Who has them? Will I ever get all the bits together again? What would that feel like? Will it be momentous? Will I be frightened by it or encouraged?

I know I shall not pine for it but there is a certain nostalgia that I cannot seem to shake off. Why?

I sometimes feel like I am an observer, quite apart from who I was, looking into the times of my past, transfixed. I feel somewhat disconnected though not completely.

It is an odd, sweet, musty, haunting, slightly disturbing feeling. There is so much of my past that was painful for me or at least that is what I mostly feel about the past.

Yes, there were joyous moments, triumphant moments, moments of childhood abandon and teenage thrills but they are overshadowed by traumatic episodes, so frequent and so terrifying and that never seemed to end.

I cannot be certain that the past is no longer with me. If anything, these oddly nostalgic moments persuade me that I have never fully left the past and this can be disconcerting at times.

I wonder if I shall always feel this way? I wonder if there will come a time when I will no longer feel this tug of emotions to my past?

Ah Lucy, you surprise yourself though not me! You do know, of course, that you decide exactly what your experiences will be, exactly what will happen to you. So, why wonder? Unless, of course, you are not yet ready to choose? Is that what this is about?

Yes, I am sure that’s exactly what this is about.

There’s one thing about making choices, Lucy. You don’t have to do them straightaway. There’s nothing wrong with not being ready.

That’s true but sometimes, the delay is more debilitating than energizing and so, for that reason, I realize that I’d rather make the decision sooner than later. Not always, but increasingly so.

After all, it is fear that prevents me from making the decision. Fear that:

I might make the wrong one
That I’m forever bound by it
That I will never be able to reverse it or make a different one

Yes, Lucy, it’s always fear of one form or another. But, you are well and truly on your way to recognizing fear in its many forms, even the more subtle forms. That is your awareness.

4 comments:

  1. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the constant changes that have us looking back where we once journeyed. We are always evolving and therefore always pine for memories. Your pictures by the way I like. They remind me of a street on Hong Kong island called Jubilee Street. I love your post and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanne, you are probably one of the few constants (or should that be 'consistent'?)features of this blog, for which I am always grateful!

    It is always so nice to read your comment here as, more than anything else, it evokes a sense of kinship...one that is uniquely sweet given our distance apart and the fact that we have never met face to face!

    I think you're right...the constant changes and their pace often prompt us to look for an anchor and memories, trapped in the complex and often messy tangle of images, feelings, thoughts and sensations, provide that anchor :)

    How is 2010 turning out for you? Or should I say, how are you turning out for 2010?

    Love always, Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Did I tell you that I lived in HK for 8 years? And yes, I do remember Jubilee St... :)

    ReplyDelete